Thursday, November 02, 2006

Pat(erson) on the back?

According to Philadelphiaeagles.com, Patterson was just given a seven year contract extension.

Now, is this really the most appropriate time for this? I mean, his performance hasn't exactly been getting any better over the course of this season. For example, in our last game against the Jags -- who ran the ball 36 out of 46 plays -- Patterson had a total of . . . two tackles. Before that against Tampa, he had 1 tackle and 1 assist; and against New Orleans he had 2 tackles and 1 assist.

I normally wouldn't care about any of this. In fact, it probably wouldn't even cross my mind. BUT I'm still fuming over McDougle's monstrously idiotic act of kicking the penalty flag -- but I'm not as mad about McDougle's act as I am at Reid for apparently not punishing him for it. (Presumably just like Cole's groin kick in front of the ref). Now what kind of message does that send? Patterson, like the rest of the DL, is not playing well right now. So we show him we appreciate him enough to give him a huge contract extension? How's that for incentive? If Big Red is having an increasingly difficult time motivating the team, it sure ain't hard to figgur out why.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paulomon Grundy said...

Yeh, this move is confusing to me too - 7 years is a long time and it's not as if Patterson with his 1.5 sacks this year has been super productive. I mean, the guy's good and all but it's strange to me. Maybe they see potential in him and think they'd like to lock him up now before he becomes Corey Simon whining about more money every year.

Although I'm down on Reid and Joe "Bottom Line" Bannah, I have to give them props because their management moves tend to work out.

In any case, you're right about the timing - this is a bad time to be renewing anyone's contract. They need to be firing people at this point. The Birds need a shake-up.

11/03/2006 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home