Monday, October 30, 2006

You're damn right I have to worry about it, Andy

This has really been bothering me lately, and was brought to a head on Sunday during Reid's post-game press conference. When a reporter said "You say you'll do what you need to do. What do you need to do?" Reid responded:

"You don't have to worry about it I'll take care of it. I'ma take care of it."


Sorry, but that response really, really, really pissed me off, and everytime I think about it I get hot all over again.

Now it's not that I think it was necessarily an arrogant statement. Maybe it just sounded that way, since he was pretty angry at the time. (Which is understandable, since he just lost his third straight game to an inferior team because he was outcoached and just didn't do his job).

And it's not that the comment was a profound insult to the tens of thousands of season ticket holders (like me) who pay exorbitant sums for tickets and insanely priced food and beer. Or that it was an insult to the hundreds of thousands fans who buy Eagles merchandise (again like me). Or that it showed an indifference to the fact that all of these things are what pays for his recent four-year contract extension worth approximately $17 million dollars. . . . Now, I'm no mathematician, but that averages something like 4.25 million per season. Hmmm. So that would mean that he makes over $265,000 per game, and thus far in this season, he has made 2.12 million dollars. But I digress.

And it's not that the comment seemed rude or even patronizing.

But what does bother me about Reid's comment is that it underscores an alarming lack of accountability. He acts as if he has life tenure. Also being General Manager certainly doesn't do much to separate him from the front office. To the contrary, he is part of a Lurie-Banner-Reid Triumverate, which rules on its own terms, completely insulated from the masses. And his actions reinforce that.

Even today, when answering virtually every question in his day-after press conference, he made sure to mention that he accepts responsibility for everything. Clearly nothing more than empty words -- the words of someone who doesn't have any concern over his job security. Time and time again, he makes the same stupid mistakes, and time and time again, he says he accepts responsibility for them and will work on them. And time and time again, he makes the same stupid mistakes again. And again. And again . . . .

If there were any accountability whatsoever, he would be extremely worried about getting canned for the team's consistently poor performance. It's not like this is a novel concept. Jim Cramer even talked about Reid's lack of accountability.

Now I am very appreciative of what Andy Reid has done for this franchise. He has the most wins of any Eagles coach, and really transformed the franchise from a feeble joke to a world-class team.

But for better or for worse, his time has passed. It seems that as a coach, he has already been figured out and no longer has anything special to offer. As a GM, he made some truly excellent moves (like getting McNabb, obviously) but was always far too concerned about finding free-agents who were bargains, rather than spending the money that they had to really make a run for it all.

After years of making the same stupid mistakes even after he says he will fix them, and after three consecutive games of getting outcoached and fielding a team that committed countless mental errors, I believe that it is now time for Reid to go. At the very least, he needs to give up one of his two jobs, although I think he needs to go entirely. If he truly felt "responsible" for this team's incompetence and his failure to fix its mistakes, he would resign. If he truly were accountable to anyone in the front office, he would be asked to leave.

Right now, there's just something fundamentally wrong with this organization. But then again, I "don't need to worry about it."

I guess neither does Reid.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paulomon Grundy said...

I saw Cramer's take on Comcast's post game show. Pretty hilarious - he was fuming. He takes the Birds pretty seriously (like we do), and he had a lot of negative commentary, justifiably of course.

I haven't seen much of a fan revolt at this point, but I imagine one is coming soon. WIP has been crackling with calls for Andy's ouster.

I'm looking forward to see what happens here, but I imagine even Lurie, who is as hands off as can be as an owner, would even start worrying about his investment at this point. I imagine he's going to want to win a Super Bowl before he sells the team - I mean, that makes the franchise all the more valuable and apparently that's what it's all about with him - The Money.

10/31/2006 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home