Friday, November 04, 2005

T.O. just keeps going, and going, and going...

T.O. just can't stop saying stupid, divisive things. From an article summarizing a recent ESPN interview of T.O. by Graham Bensinger:

ESPN analyst Michael Irvin recently said the Eagles would be undefeated if Favre was the starting quarterback.

Asked for his thoughts on Irvin's comment, Owens said: "That's a good assessment, I would agree with that, just with what [Favre] brings to the table.

"A number of commentators will say he's a warrior, he's played with injuries. I feel like him being knowledgable about the quarterback position, I feel like we'd probably be in a better situation."

And T.O. concluded:

"I just want to be happy," he said. "If it's here then I would love to be here, if not you got to move on. ... If there's a situation where they have a change of heart and come to their senses and pay me what I'm worth, then I'd be more than happy to be here.

"At this time I'm being honest with myself just trying to look toward the future and I just don't see myself really being here. It's not because I don't want to be here but I just don't foresee them doing the necessary things to keep me here."

I wonder if he doesn't realize that his comments can have the effect of hurting team unity, or if he just doesn't care. I can see either being the case. He might not realize it, because it seems that he's never been a team player and only plays for himself, so he might really not understand the real concept of a team. And of course, he might just not care, because he is T.O. and believes god is on his side, whatever he does. Being true to yourself is one thing. But when you're a jerk, I don't think god would support you in every stupid thing you do, even if it's just "who you are", etc.

Let's hope Reggie Brown develops quickly, so he can step into T.O.'s shoes next season. Once we cut T.O. loose, get No. 5 healthy again and resign Westy, maybe we have a chance to get back on track next season. This season is a wash. After this stretch of NFC East games, I think we should consider playing our rookies and younger guys a lot more.

10 Comments:

Blogger Paulomon Grundy said...

Yeh, the ugliness has returned. I think he definitely knows he's hurting the team and it's intentional to create more hype and controversy, but it's consistent with his spiteful behavior. On another note, I can't imagine a team paying top dollar to sign him going forward - although he's worth a lot, but it's definitely not top dollar anymore because of the risk associated with his bad attitude. It's obvious that he won't be happy anywhere because no one is willing to stroke his ego enough to satisfy him. The bad attitude detracts from his value. Anyway, this season is a wash but hopefully we can correct these mistakes now and position ourselves for next year. Tough RB, another DE and another top receiver. and hey, Pinky will be back!

11/04/2005 9:07 AM  
Blogger Dave Popstar said...

I agree with Kooth that someone will get him, even with his selfish, destructive behavior. Moss was as bad as it gets -- walking off the field during the final seconds of a game -- and he was happily snagged by Oaktown (of course they do have a history of going after rejects with attitudes).

...And what about T.O. saying the Eagles organization lacks class because they didn't acknowledge his 100th TD catch? Kind of funny that T.O. can judge who has and who doesn't have class.

If we lose the next two NFC East games, I'd deactivate him for the rest of the season, and give the other guys some work.

11/04/2005 12:19 PM  
Blogger Paulomon Grundy said...

yes, of course someone will snatch him up, but not at the top money he thinks he'll get. Randy is younger than TO and only had one stop in Minn when his attitude went bad. this will be TO's 4th move if he leaves.

11/04/2005 12:33 PM  
Blogger Dave Popstar said...

Maybe another FredEx? MAN, that would be sweet.

I can't wait to hear what Reid has to say about his comments. (Of course, I assume it'll be something like, "I'm not going to comment on that.")

11/04/2005 12:49 PM  
Blogger Keith Scott said...

My hope is that a bad team snatches him...I mean a really bad team and he is stuck in a bad situation that he cannot get out of. He will get picked up and I think someone will pay the money. When he plays, he is still one of the best. Teams will roll the dice and make him happy. We can only hope its the Cardinals or someone like that

11/04/2005 12:50 PM  
Blogger Dave Popstar said...

Well, he thinks he is on a really bad team and stuck in a really bad situation he can't get out of now. This is his way of trying to do something, I guess.

I actually don't think he's calculating in what he's doing, I just think it a combination of being extraordinarily self-centered and relatively dumb. Just look how he gets SO easily baited into saying controversal things by interviewers.

Remember how much fun last year's team was? Remember how goofy everyone was (Hollis, especially)? It was awesome. This year, it's just painful. Rhea Huges and Al Morganti likened the T.O./McNabb situation to a married couple that has decided to to get divorced, but has to live together for a few months to save money or something.

I can't wait until next season... THAT's our year...

11/04/2005 12:59 PM  
Blogger Keith Scott said...

Flyers Flyers Flyers!!!

11/04/2005 1:01 PM  
Blogger Paulomon Grundy said...

haha! that analogy with TO and McNabb is too funny. It would be nice to see TO getting screwed somehow at the end of this. We've all had enough of this and he's just not worth the trouble. The team sucks anyway, so TRADE HIM NOW!

11/04/2005 1:57 PM  
Blogger Dave Popstar said...

They actually continued with the analogy. You know how that scenario sometimes goes -- with one person (most often the guy) coming home to find all of his clothes on the front lawn and the locks changed... Well, Angelo suggested we do that to Owens. When he shows up for practice, he finds everything from his locker strewn about outside of the NovaCare complex, and he can't even get inside the building.

Not such a bad idea...

11/04/2005 2:04 PM  
Blogger Keith Scott said...

Flyers Flyers Flyers

11/04/2005 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home