Thursday, July 14, 2005

WR Preview

This was the preview I've been waiting for. The crack reporting staff for the Birds' website finally addressed the WR situation: unfortunately it's not written by Spadaro; fortunately it's still laden with hyperbole about "depth" of talent in our WR squad. Depth? Bill McMullen? Carlos Perez and Robert Redd from NFL Europe? Jason Peebler? who the hell is that? As Poplar would say: "Um..." and just leave it at that. Boys, if we don't get TO back, or another #1 receiver in a trade, we'll be back to square one and will not advance past the playoffs. Much to Waala's annoyance, I've been complaining for 5 seasons now about this horrific receiving corps - any stats these losers have generated has been because McNabb is a magician....We all saw how McNabb's statistics blew up last year when he finally had some talent to throw to, and without TO (or a reasonable substitute), McNabb will be back to scrambling around taking coverage sacks. It's taken Big Red 5 years, but he finally got rid of Thrash and Mitchell - that leaves just one bag of trash to take to the dumpster....I think I'll get my wish next year. I am optimistic about Reggie Brown, and Greg Lewis with his speed will be a great #3 receiver. But to win, you need WRs to get a lot of YAC (yards after the catch). None of these guys can do that - we have 12 possession receivers. As for McMullen - I don't see what talent he had to justify drafting him. Someone on the Birds knows better than me, but I'm just basing that on watching football for the last 28 years. Maybe he took roids on the offseason and will benefit from that.

Cry Pinkston cry,
On the road to misery.
Cry Pinkston cry,
Drop a touchdown, one two three.
Hit him low, hit him high,
And watch that Pinkston cry.
Cry Pinkston cry,
On the road to misery.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Popstar said...

Hey, Thrash was special teams player of the week once this season.

Okay, seriously... I agree 100%. Like you pointed out, that No. 5's stats skyrocketed this past season with T.O. on board speaks volumes. It goes to show how dramatically a top 5 reciever like T.O. can impact the offense -- and ALL aspects of it.

I'm still hopeful Reggie Brown could develop into a good YAC receiver. Remember, he was the only WR to bench at the combine and put up very decent numbers. So he's physical. (And not that this is a fair parallel at this point, but he's much stronger than T.O. was when T.O. was drafted -- he was puny compared to now). But that said, it ain't at all realistic to think Brown can step into Reid's offense right away and be productive. But play by play, he'll cut his teeth. (Maybe even literally).

I'm very disappointed with McMullen. He's a relatively big dood, and got some tutoring from T.O. last season, so you'd think he'd be able to get off a jam once in a while. His performance in last couple games of the regular season last year were unimpressive, if not kind of embarassing.

And in my view, Greg "Foots" Lewis will really be not much more than a competent Pinkston replacement. No real YAC potential, but he has speed, and isn't as tentative as Pinkston. As if someone could be...

So I guess I don't really know. I mean, I'm a little more positive on our receiver corps than you are (maybe only because I'm more hopeful about Reggie Brown, but still, that's all speculation at this point). The bottom line -- we NEED T.O. Did you hear his last comment on his holdout? Someone asked him at a charity event or something, and all he said was "Wait until July 29th". Who knows what that means...

7/14/2005 9:29 PM  
Blogger Dave Popstar said...

BTW, I love the picture you included. I think it perfectly captures the essence of Pinkston -- he just caught the ball, and is now poised to get his ZERO yards after the catch.

7/15/2005 9:46 AM  
Blogger Paulomon Grundy said...

and he looks SCARED to boot.

7/15/2005 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home